GymScanner.com offers gym subscription through its own websites and mobile apps and through other online platforms such as partners websites and social media. The information that follows applies to all of these platforms.
What kind of personal information does GymScanner.com use?
When you make a reservation, you will be asked for your name, address, telephone number, email address, payment information, the name(s) of subscriber(s).
To make it easier to manage your reservations, you can open a user account. This allows you to save your personal settings, review previous subscriptions and manage future reservations.
When you visit our websites, even if you do not make a reservation, we may collect certain information, such as your IP address, which browser you’re using, and information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics and latitude/longitude details.
We may also receive information about you when you use certain social media services.
Why does GymScanner.com collect, use and share your personal details?
- Reservations:First and foremost, we use your personal information to complete and administer your online reservation and forward your reservation details to the facility / personal trainer you have booked.
- Customer service:We provide international customer service 24/7 from our local offices. Sharing your details with our global customer service staff allows us to respond when you need us – including helping you find appropriate facility and responding to queries related to your reservation.
- Gym reviews:We may use your contact information to invite you to write a guest review after your use of the facility / service provider. This can help other subscribers to choose the accommodation that suits them best.
- Account administration:We offer a user account facility on our website. We use the information you give us to administer this, allowing you to manage your bookings, take advantage of special offers, make future reservations more easily and manage your personal settings. Managing personal settings allows you to keep and share lists, share photos, see facilities that you have searched for before, and see other information you have provided about facility / service providers. The type of information you can share in this way includes your photo, the names of facility / service providers you have used, your lists, your plans for future subscriptions, your reviews and other information.
- Marketing activities:We also use your information for marketing activities, as permitted by law.
- When you make a reservation with us or set up a user account, we may use your contact information to send you news of similar travel-related products and services. We also send our customers regular newsletters by email. You can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communications at any time.
- Based on the information you share with us, individualized offers may be shown to you on the GymScanner.com website, in mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites.
- When we believe that a particular offer may be of interest to you, we may decide to make contact with you by phone.
- Email Marketing: Send you third party offers via email.
- Other communications:There may be other times when we get in touch by email, by post, by phone or by texting you, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this:
- We may need to respond to and handle requests you have made.
- If you have not finalized a reservation online, we may email you a reminder to continue with your reservation. We believe that this additional service is useful to you because it allows you to carry on with a reservation without having to search for the facility / service provider again or fill in all the reservation details from scratch.
- When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with GymScanner.com
- We may also send you other material related to your reservation, such as how to contact GymScanner.com if you need assistance while you are away, or a summary of previous reservations you made through GymScanner.com
- Market research:We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent.
- Fraud detection and prevention:We may use personal information for the detection and prevention of fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities.
- Improving our services:Finally, we use personal information for analytical purposes, to improve our services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our online services.
How does GymScanner.com use social media?
We use social media to promote our partner’s facilities and services and to promote, improve and facilitate our own services. For example, we have integrated social media plugins into the GymScanner.com website. So when you click on one of the buttons and register with your social media account, information is shared with your social media provider, and possibly presented on your social media profile to be shared with others in your network.
In addition to implementing these buttons, GymScanner.com uses social media by maintaining accounts on several social media sites and by offering social apps. These social media services may allow you to share information with GymScanner.com When you register with a social media app, you will be told which information will be shared with GymScanner.com. The information you choose to share with us may include the basic information that’s available in your social media profile, email address, status updates and your list of friends. This information is necessary to create a unique user experience either in the app itself or on our websites. It facilitates such things as personalizing our website to suit your needs.
We may also enable you to sign in to GymScanner.com services with your social media accounts. Your social media provider will be able to tell you more about how they use and process your data in such cases.
How does GymScanner.com share your data with third parties?
In certain circumstances, we may share your personal data with third parties.
- The facility / gym you booked: In order to complete your reservation, we need to transfer relevant reservation details of the facility / service provider you have booked. This may include information such as your name, your contact details, your payment details, the names of subscribers and any preferences you specified when making a gym subscription.
- Other companies within the GymScanner.com corporate family: In order to support you during the reservation process and throughout your stay, your details may be shared with subsidiaries of the GymScanner.com corporate family.
- Third-party service providers: We may use third-party service providers to process your personal information on our behalf for the purposes specified above. For example, we may use service providers to send the reservation information on our behalf to the facility / gym you just booked, or we may instruct third parties to contact you. When a reservation requires it, we may also work with third-party payment service providers to facilitate payment or payment guarantees. And we work with third-party advertisement networks to market their products and services on other platforms, or involve third-party providers for analytical purposes. These third parties involved in any of these services will be bound by confidentiality agreements and will not be allowed to use your personal information for any purposes other than those specified above.
- Our business partners: We work with partner websites around the world to distribute the facilities and services listed on our website and mobile apps. When you make a reservation on one of these business partners websites, certain personal information that you give them may be shared with us. Similarly, we may share information with this business partner, for example, as part of the administration of your account, in order to manage your reservation, so that they can address queries related to your reservation and for marketing purposes. In this context, your information is governed by the privacy policies of these business partners.
- Competent authorities: We may share your personal information with government or investigative authorities if we are required by law (or any regulation having the force of law) to do so. Such requirements include court orders, subpoenas and orders arising from legal processes and criminal investigations. We may also disclose your personal data if it is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts.
How does GymScanner.com make use of mobile devices?
We have free apps for a variety of mobile devices and use versions of our regular website that have been optimized for mobile. These apps and mobile websites process the personal details you give us in much the same way as our website does – and they also allow you to use location services to find facilities / gyms nearby.
How does GymScanner.com use guest reviews you share with us?
After your subscription at any of facility / gym booked through us, you will be invited to submit a user review, which may ask for information about the facility / service provider. If you don’t want to use your name with the review, you can make use of your screen name (which you can choose in your user account) or it can be displayed online anonymously. By completing a guest review, you are agreeing that it can be displayed (as further described in our Terms and Conditions) on, for example, the relevant accommodation information page on our websites, in our mobile apps, in our social media accounts and in social apps, or on the website of the relevant facility / service provider or on our business partner’s website.
If you indicate that a guest review was helpful – or not helpful – we will aggregate this with feedback from other customers in order to sort and prioritize guest reviews. We may use the information in your lists or in other destination-related information you share with us in anonymous form to help other users find the right facility / gym.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data that a website places on your computer.
Our website uses the following types of cookie:
- Technical cookies: We try to give our visitors an advanced and user-friendly website that adapts automatically to their needs and wishes. To achieve this, we use technical cookies to show you our website, to make it function correctly, to create your user account, to sign you in and to manage your bookings. These technical cookies are absolutely necessary for our website to function properly.
- Functional cookies: We also use functional cookies to remember your preferences and to help you to use our website efficiently and effectively, for example by remembering your preferred currency and language, your searches and the facilities you viewed earlier. These functional cookies are not strictly necessary for the functioning of our website, but they add functionality for you and enhance your experience.
- Analytics cookies: We use these cookies to gain insight into how our visitors use the website, to find out what works and what doesn’t, to optimize and improve our website and to ensure we continue to be interesting and relevant. The data we gather includes which web pages you have viewed, which referring / exit pages you have entered and left from, which platform type you have used, date and time stamp information and details such as the number of clicks you make on a given page, your mouse movements and scrolling activity, the search words you use and the text you type while using our website. We also make use of analytics cookies as part of our online advertising campaigns to learn how users interact with our website after they have been shown an online advertisement, which may include advertisements on third-party websites.
- Commercial cookies: We use these to show you GymScanner.com advertisements on other websites. This is called ‘retargeting’ and it aims to be based on your browsing activities on our website, such as the destinations you have been searching for, the accommodation you have viewed and the prices you have been shown.
How long do GymScanner.com cookies stay active?
The cookies we use have varying lifespans. The maximum lifespan we set on some of them is five years from your last visit to our website. You can erase all cookies from your browser any time you want to.
How can you recognize GymScanner.com cookies?
You can find our cookies in your browser settings.
Who has access to GymScanner.com cookie data?
Only GymScanner.com has access to GymScanner.com cookies.
How can you manage your cookie preferences?
Using your browser settings in, for example, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome, you can set which cookies to accept and which to reject. Where you find these settings depends on which browser you use. Use the ‘Help’ function in your browser to locate the settings you need.
What security procedures does GymScanner.com put in place to safeguard your personal information?
In accordance with US and European data protection laws, we observe reasonable procedures to prevent unauthorized access and the misuse of personal information.
We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect and safeguard the personal information you give us. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the personal information on our servers. Only authorized personnel are permitted to access personal information in the course of their work.
Your credit card details are never stored with us.
The services offered by GymScanner.com are not directed at children under the age of 18. The use of any of our services is only allowed with the valid consent of a parent or a guardian. When we receive information from a child under the age of 18, we reserve the right to delete it.
We understand that you might change your mind AFTER placing your order on Gymscanner.com. That is fine. We want to make sure you are protected. And so are our partners. So in case you want a refund, we will work with you to get it. But you must understand most facilities will only issue a refund BEFORE you start your membership subscription.
Gymscanner.com refund policy is subject to every facility it deals with and varies according to country, city or facility type.
Before you purchase gym / fitness facility subscription through Gymscanner.com or the mobile application, the refund policy of that particular facility will be made clear and should be read carefully prior to confirming your subscription.
Generally, most facilities will issue a complete or partial refund prior to the customer BEFORE starting his subscription. However, this cannot, under any circumstances, be taken as a rule as refund policies are subject to rules of every facility.
Gymscanner.com is committed to buyer protection. In case of dispute, Gymscanner.com will attempt to resolve the issue by investigating the claim by contacting both the facility and the buyer.
Tracking a case
You can track your refund claim by logging in to your profile and contacting us directly.